Ben Van Rompuy
Dr. Ben Van Rompuy
Dr. Ben Van Rompuy is Senior Researcher and consultant at the T.M.C. Asser Instituut / Asser International Sports Law Centre (The Hague) and Associated Senior Researcher at the Institute for European Studies and iMinds-SMIT (Brussels).
His research focuses primarily on the balancing of economic and non-economic values in different areas of international and EU economic law (competition, trade, internal market), with a particular focus on the sports and media sectors. He is the author of numerous book chapters and articles on the interplay between sports broadcasting rights and EU (competition) law. His major work is "Economic Efficiency: The Sole Concern of Modern Antitrust Policy? Non-efficiency considerations under Article 101 TFEU" (Wolters Kluwer Law & Business 2012).
He has combined his academic work with education and consultancy activities in different disciplines and geographical locations. From 2006 to 2010, he worked as a Ph.D. candidate at the Institute for European Studies/SMIT of the Vrije Universiteit Brussel. He held visiting positions at Georgetown University Law Center (Institute of International Economic Law) and New York University. He also served as a consultant in international antitrust for the US Federal Trade Commission and continues to act as a research fellow of the American Antitrust Institute (Washington, DC).
He holds a doctoral degree in law and masters’ degrees in international and European law and in communication studies. He is editorial board member of the International Sports Law Journal and the Asser International Sports Law book series.
- Caroline Pauwels, Harri Kalimo, Karen Donders and Ben Van Rompuy (eds.), Rethinking Media and Communications Policies (VUB Press, Brussels 2009)
- Ben Van Rompuy, 'The Standard of Proof in EC Merger Control. Conclusions from the Sony BMG Saga' in Caroline Pauwels, Harri Kalimo, Karen Donders and Ben Van Rompuy (eds.), Rethinking Media and Communications Policies (VUB Press, Brussels 2009) 295-318
- Ben Van Rompuy, 'The Standard of Proof in EC Merger Control. Conclusions from the Sony BMG Saga' (2008) IES working paper No. 4/2008, http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=1523205
Ben Van Rompuy, Economic Efficiency: The Sole Concern of Modern Antitrust Policy? Non-efficiency considerations under Article 101 TFEU' (Wolters Kluwer Law & Business 2012).
Ben Van Rompuy, 'The Impact of the Lisbon Treaty on EU Competition Law: A Review of Recent Case Law of the EU Courts' (December 2011) CPI Antitrust Chronicle 1.
Tom Evens, Daniel Geey, Katrien Lefever, and Ben Van Rompuy, 'A Dutch solution to Premier League TV issues: part 2' (2010) 8 World Sports Law Report 10.
- Tom Evens, Daniel Geey, Katrien Lefever, and Ben Van Rompuy, 'A Dutch solution to Premier League TV issues: part 1' (2010) 8 World Sports Law Report 9.
- Ben Van Rompuy, 'Book review: Article 81 EC and Public Policy' (2010) 31 European Competition Law Review 5.
- Katrien Lefever and Ben Van Rompuy, 'Ensuring Access to Sports Content: 10 Years of EU Intervention. Time to Celebrate?' (2009) 1 Journal of Media Law 2.
- Ben Van Rompuy, 'Fair access to exclusive sports rights still a long shot in UK pay television market' (2009) 14 Communications Law - The Journal of Computer, Media and Telecommunications Law 4.
- Ben Van Rompuy, 'Comment: How to Preserve Trust in Anti-Trust', EUbusiness.com, 8 October 2009.
- Ben Van Rompuy, 'Europees concurrentiebeleid mag niet op een lager pitje', De Tijd, 7 October 2009.
- Ben Van Rompuy and Caroline Pauwels, 'The recognition of the specificity of sport in the European Commission’s Article 81 EC decisional practice related to sports media rights' in Richard Parrish, Simon Gardiner and Robert CR Siekmann (eds.) EU, Sport, Law and Policy: Regulation, Re-regulation and Representation (T.M.C. Asser Press, The Hague 2009).
- Ben Van Rompuy, 'Case comment: Implications for the Standard of Proof in EC Merger Proceedings: Bertelsmann and Sony Corp of America v Impala (C-413/06), ECJ' (2008) 29 European Competition Law Review 10.
- Ben Van Rompuy and Caroline Pauwels, 'The European Commission’s re-examination of the Sony BMG merger: a precedent-setting attempt to jump the fence' (July 2008) GCP Online Magazine for Global Competition Policy 2.
- Caroline Pauwels, Sophie De Vinck, and Ben Van Rompuy, 'Lost in liberalisation? Can state aid in the film sector stand the proof of EU and WTO liberalisation efforts?' in Katharine Sarikakis (ed.) Media and Cultural Policy in the European Union (European Studies: An Interdisciplinary Series in European Culture, History and Politics, Rodopi, Amsterdam 2007).
- Study at IES
- European Projects