Why this LLM?
- Central location in Brussels, the heart of the EU: excellent research, networking and job possibilities
- Demanding, exclusively advanced master (i.e. post-graduate) level curriculum
- Over 40 years of excellence
- Perfect for the global work market: curriculum covers essential aspects of international and European law
- Part of the IES, a Jean Monnet Centre of Excellence, a hub of cutting edge research and activities on EU in the international context, presided by previous trade Commissioner Karel De Gucht
- Chairs nominated exclusively for this Programme
- Chairs that are an international mixture of high-ranking practitioners and leading academics
- Limited class size ensures high interaction and close contacts amongst students and with the professors – a true bond that lasts
- Students of truly versatile international backgrounds and outstanding quality
- An affordable tuition fee: €5350 (including all study materials!)
- An extensive alumni network of over 1400 lawyers of 108 nationalities
- State-of-the art facilities and educational tools
- Outstanding employability: 50 % of our alumni received job within a month, 95 % within 6 months
THE PILC VISION AND OBJECTIVES
PILC is a postgraduate LL.M. Programme renowned for its outstanding quality, international character, and a unique curriculum that combines international and European law, on the one hand, and academic excellence, an independent humanist enquiring attitude and the latest practical insights, on the other. It thereby excels in preparing students for international legal career paths for a sustainable global society.
40 YEARS OF EXCELLENCE
PILC is one of the oldest of its kind in Europe, and has attracted over 1200 high quality graduate students of 107 nationalities from all continents of the world. It was created in 1971 as the Programme on International and Legal Cooperation (PILC) in cooperation with the Faculty of Law and Criminology (VUB). In 2001, PILC was integrated into the newly established Institute for European Studies (IES). For over 40 years, the programme has successfully combined academic rigour with the latest practical insights and cultural diversity.
OUR LOCATION IN BRUSSELS
The LLM programme is coordinated by the Institute for European Studies (IES). The IES is a thriving Jean Monnet Centre of Excellence in European Studies, located from February 2011 onwards in brand new facilities at the Vrije Universiteit Brussel (VUB). The location of the IES at the VUB in Brussels gives the programme the opportunity to benefit from the immediate vicinity of EU institutions and numerous international organisations, law firms and companies during the course of the year.
EMPLOYABILITY OF PILC GRADUATES
There is a strong initiative for improvement in informing the students of professional opportunities and in supporting their recruitment after their graduation. The Job Application Workshop and the PILC Job Market are examples of such projects while alumni activities as the Alumni Career Lunches, have also been undertaken to foster the network. Due to its long history, PILC can offer its graduates the privileged network of over 1200 PILC alumni, many of them in senior positions in EU Institutions, high-profile international law firms and organisations in the public and private sector.
- Study at IES
- European Projects